Monday, September 21, 2015

Desert Destination

Trip date: March 2015

In March I left behind the rain of Seattle and flew to Palm Springs with friends for my 3rd annual trip. This time we were there for a full week and there were six of us. We left early in the morning and flew right into Palm Springs Airport as we had all purchased our tickets well in advance, bonus for me in that Delta upgraded me to first class, hello free Bloody Marys.

Once we landed we dropped our bags at our house, the Contempo Oasis, and fueled up on salads and sandwiches at Cafe Europa downtown. Nourishment was needed for the major grocery shopping we needed to do for the week. We set off in teams and soon were back at the house enjoying the pool, hot tub, and cold beverages.



Since I was going to be gone a whole week I decided that every day I would work in the morning, my room had a desk and stool that looked right out to the pool, encouraging me to finish my tasks and jump in!

Besides work I also decided that I was going to go on a 30-60 minute run/walk each morning. The area is riddled with midcentury modern homes so everyday was a little free tour!



Lauren, Mary, and I went to the tennis matches at Indian Wells one day. We had incredible seats in Stadium 2 and started the day watching Andy Murray v. Adrian Mannarino. We broke for lunch and relaxed with expensive glasses of champagne at the Moet Lounge while waiting for our table at Nobu. Sounds like New York right?

At Nobu you can wait for a seat at the window which over looks the court. There is a minimum charge and some time restraints and honestly we didn't think the view was that good so we just sat at a regular table.

After lunch I headed off to Stadium 1 and grabbed a seat in the nose bleed seats to watch some crazy storm clouds and also Jack Sock v. Roger Federer.



One afternoon Mary, Lauren, her brother and I went to lunch at Simon Kitchen inside the Hard Rock Hotel. It was good; crispy chicken skin appetizers, Iron Chef burger, spicy tator tots (that made great leftover clean-out-the-fridge totchos!) but not amazing.

We also went out one night, I reserved us all the private room at Tonga Hut. We entered through the "secret" phone booth and had an entire little room, all decked out in tiki and pirate decor, to ourselves. The drinks were good, the food was meh, the service was snarky.



But really some days it was all about the sun, the pool, good friends, and good homemade food. Exactly what I need in the middle of winter.



Flights and the same house are already booked for next year!

Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Around Oaxaca

Trip date: October 2023  Oaxaca had been on my wish list to visit for so many years! I was super excited to go with my friend Aaron who had ...

Popular Posts